Migraine sufferers more prone to depression
Having migraines increases your risk of developing depression, and vice versa, according to new research published in the journal Headache.
Researchers looked at the prevalence of migraines and depression among 15, 254 people who took the Canadian National Public Survey. They discovered that people who had migraines were 60% more likely to develop depression than those that didn't have migraine headaches. This link held up even after they adjusted for age and sex. On the other hand, people with depression were 40% more likely to have migraines, a weaker but still significant relationship. This association disappeared though when researchers adjusted for stress and childhood trauma.
More research needs to be done to understand whether migraines can lead to depression. Still, researchers recommended that patients with either condition be aware of the symptoms of both depression and migraine. The two conditions could potentially feed off one another, making it all the more important for migraine sufferers to seek treatment if they suspect they are clinically depressed. Actively managing your stress and psychological needs could go a long way into relieving your head pain.
Modgill, Geeta et al. A Population-Based Longitudinal Community Study of Major Depression and Migraine. Headache 2012 Mar;52(3):422-32. doi: 10.1111/j.1526-4610.2011.02036.x.